Fayetteville Policies and Procedures  405.1 

Employing Nonresident Alien Faculty and Staff

All Nonresident Alien (NRA) employees must have valid authorization to work in the United States (evidence may include one or more of the following: I-20, DS2019, I-797, I-94 and valid passport) and must have the appropriate temporary visa, usually H-1B, J-1 or TN. H-1B employment authorization cannot be transferred from another employer; the University of Arkansas must be the petitioner for H-1B employees. H-1B status is valid for a cumulative period of six years, regardless of the number of employers. The Office of International Students and Scholars can assist in obtaining or renewing legal status for non-immigrant faculty and staff.

All H-1B nonresident employees must be paid at least the prevailing wage for their positions. This requirement ensures that H-1B employees are not hired because they will accept lower wages than citizens or resident aliens.

Nonresident Aliens should not show as hired in Workday until the work authorization has been confirmed by Human Resources. Employment authorization must be confirmed before a foreign national can be hired. Human Resources will work with recruiters on confirming work authorization before these individuals will be moved forward as hired. When a department wishes to hire a foreign national, it is best to reach out in advance to ascertain the proper work authorization has been applied for or obtained.

Revised June 6, 2022
Reformatted for Web April 28, 2014
Revised January 7, 2009
August 6, 2008